GREAT PERFORMANCES - Jennifer Hudson - You're Gonna LOVE Her!!
"Dreamgirl" - Jennifer Hudson makes her very first cover this month in Giant Magazine's February issue. And not a moment too soon! Ever since "Dreamgirls" hit it's wide release on Christmas Day - one thing has been established - Jennifer Hudson is a STAR!
Jennifer plays Effie White - the mistreated member of "The Dreams" - the fictional girl singing group portrayed in the movie. Acting among much more established stars like Eddie Murphy, Beyonce and Jamie Foxx - Hudson definitely holds her own and commands attention every time she is on the screen.
Hudson portrays the singing diva with spot-on precision. When Effie is first knocked from the lead of the group by Beyonce's character and then kicked out of the group all together - the betrayal and hurt that Effie feels is clearly displayed in Hudson's eyes.
The familar Broadway anthem - "And I'm Telling You (I'm Not Goin')" has been performed many times on the stage by many actresses. But when Jennifer sings her heart-breaking, show-stopping version midway through the movie - she shines like someone who has commanded the silver screen thousands of times before. She claims this song as her own. It is hers now - no one else will be able to perform that song without bringing up images of Hudson as Effie. Never again.
I've seen "Dreamgirls" twice and as Jennifer sang "I'm Not Going" to Jamie Foxx - the theatre I was out busted into spontanious applause both times as Hudson performs. When she hits those final notes - you realize that a star is being born. I turned to my man and said - "She just won an Oscar."











